- Sponsored Links -
Galway Claddagh Rings
Fallers in Galway are the makers of the claddagh ring since 1879 in Galway.

Vaping Shop
E cigarettes and vaping shop

  Other Articles
Tuam Mill Museum Society
Nora Barnacle House Museum
Lackagh Museum & Hertiage Centre
Kiltartan Gregory Museum
Glengowla Mines
Connemara Heritage & History Centre
Clonfert Diocesan Museum
Galway City Museum
Dartfield Horsepark and Museum
Galway Film Fleadh
Connemara Bog Week
Clarenbridge Oyster Festival
Brasilian Festival
Baboro International Arts Festival For Children
Galway East - The Great Unexplored
Oranmore Castle
Interesting areas in Galway
St Nicholas' Church Galway
The Twelve Bens
Galway Cathedral
Salthill Galway Airshow
Golfing in Galway
Galway Market
The Aran sweater
The Galway Hooker
The Claddagh
Galway Arts Festival
Galway Races
About Galway
Galway Oyster Festival
Galway in the Middle Ages
Modern Galway
Recent History of Galway
The Early History of Galway

  Oranmore Castle

Hotels Galway - Oranmore CastleOranmore Castle was built sometime round the fifteenth century possibly on the site of an older castle. It was a stronghold of the Clanricardes who were a prominent norman family of Galway. In 1641 Galway was under the overlordship of the Marquess and fifth Earl Clanricarde. In March 1642 the town revolted and joined the Confederates with the Fort (St Augustin's) still holding out. Clanricarde placed a strong garrison in Orannmore castle, from which he provisioned the Fort of Galway from the sea until 1643 when Captain Willoughby Governor of Galway surrendered both fort and castle without the Marquess's consent. In 1651 the castle surrendered to the Parliamentary forces.All the Marquess's property was of course forfeited but his successor, the 6th Earl, got back most of it including the castle. In 1666 he leased the castle to Walter Athy. Mary, Walter's daughter married secondly Walter Blake of Drumacrina Co Mayo, and her descendants by that marriage, held Oranmore until 1853, when the estates of Walter Blake were sold to the Encumbered Estates Court. The Blake family built the house against the south side of the castle. This house was left in ruins when the Blake family left Oranmore and the castle was unroofed until 1947 when it was bought by Lady Leslie, a cousin of Churchill and wife of Sir Shane Leslie the writer. Lady Leslie reroofed the castle and gave it to her daughter, Mrs Leslie King who is aiso well known as a writer under the name of Anita Leslie. Between 1950 and 1960, Mrs Leslie King and her husband, Cmdr Bill King (also a writer who sailed solo around the world in 1933) added a two storey wing joined to the castle by a single storey range. The castle is now occupied by Leonie King, daughter of Anita Leslie and Bill King, and her husband Alec Finn of De Danaan.

© 2016 Galway Hotel Guide | Galway Hotels - Hotels in Galway - Galway accommodation - Find HotelsAbout UsGalway Hotel Guide
admin | hotel accounts
Find Galway HotelsFind hotel :  

All Galway | All Connemara | Galway City | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Barna | Carna | Claddaghduff | Claregalway | Clarinbridge Cleggan | Clifden | Dunmore | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Inverin | Kinvara | Leenane | Letterfrack | Loughrea | Milltown Moycullen | Moylough | Mt. Bellew | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Recess | Renvyle | Rossaveel | Roundstone | Salthill Spiddal | Tuam | Woodford

About Galway | Top Galway hotels | Contact us | Currency converter | Email this page | Print this page | TOP PAGE
5 star Galway hotels | 4 star Galway hotels | 3 star Galway hotels | 2 star Galway hotels | 1 star Galway hotels
Hotels Galway - Home Galway Hotel Guide - Galway Hotels - Hotels in Galway - Galway Accommodation - Accommodation in Galway Galway Hotel Guide - About Galway Galway Hotel Guide - My Reservations Galway Hotel Guide - Contact Us Galway Hotel Guide - Currency Conversion Galway Hotel Guide - Email this page to a friend Galway Hotel Guide - Print this page Galway Hotel Guide - Bookmark Galway Hotel Guide Galway Hotel Guide - About Us